Thursday 12 May 2011

Riding the Red Bull

On the 14th of March 2011 Red Bull ZA awarded me two tickets to the Top Gear car festival, hosted at the Kyalami Race Track in Johannesburg.

On the 17tha buddy and myself packed up and hit the road from Bloemfontein to Johannesburg, about a four hour drive.
We arrived to find David Coulthard, who I got to meet which was a major highlight, racing the Red Bull F1 exhibition car racing around the track, followed by a  Ford GT. The crowds were, interesting. The type of people you expect to see at a hillbilly demolition derby, no offence, of coarse.

We collected our access passes to the Red Bull lounge and hit the display tents where various exotic car dealerships and tuners strutted their stuff. It was truly amazing to see such a collection of these rare cars. Everything from a Zagato Perana to the Franschoek motor museum's amazing Bugatti type 35.

I thought this was heaven, but there was more, a display of classic F1 cars from the 70's racing Coulthard on the track with the South African F1 legend Jody Schekter behind the wheel of his, odd looking, championship winning Ferrari car.

It was too good to be true. Time flew and it was time to go. With a few Red Bull's in my system we set off for Bloemfontein. Sound stupid, we should've slept over in JHB right? We would have but we had a microbiology test waiting for us.

We made it in time for the test and I didn't do too badly.
All's well that ends well.

Though I regret the lamb curry schwarma, I shouldn't have trusted those scaly people with their enticing Indian display.










1 comment:

Keagan Green said...

i think you should follow me in return ;)